My name is Doug and this is my first attempt at creating a personal blog. I will be striving to achieve noteworthy posts that will attract positive attention, and even spark curiosity. These noteworthy posts will probably be random and whatever I happen to be thinking of that minute, hour, day, week, etc. With that being said, I will propose my first topic.
Is Walmart a threat to the US economy?
This question was first posed to me by the media, on talk shows, the news, and even South Park. A considerable amount of people across the country seemed to think Walmart was in some way "evil" and was actually hurting the US economy as well as the American people. I didn't think about it much until my friend brought it up after he had seen a video accusing Walmart of many negative economic effects. He showed me part of the video and we discussed it afterwards.
The main arguements from the movie were as follows:
1. Walmart puts small businesses out of business and lowers nearby property values
2. Walmart does not provide most of its employees with health care plans
3. Outsourcing
My friend agreed with the movie that these were all bad business practices. However, when I saw the movie I didn't see many facts or unexplainable "evils" Walmart may have commited. Most of the movie appeared to be emotional appeal, and not much economics.
The way I see it, Walmart, being a very successful business, will inevidably put small businesses out of business. I feel bad for the small business owners, but that is business. I don't see why Walmart not providing their workers with health care is an outrage either. If people do not like these conditions, they shouldn't work for Walmart. Also, there are many government programs that offer health care plans to those in need. Finally the most controversial topic, outsourcing. This is the most complicated matter, and unfortunately I can not give a well rounded answer to this. I realize outsourcing hurts the low skilled labor force in the short run, but I'm not sure how it effects the US economy. It may cause more of the American public to go school and better themselves, or it might just make others poorer. Even if outsourcing is proven to be a problem, I don't think Walmart is necessarily solely to blame. If foreign labor and imports were hurting the US economy, could tarrifs on these services not be imposed by the government?
Even though I don't think there is anything wrong with Walmart I respect those who despise it and refuse to shop there. I think they are being responsible consumers and standing up for what they believe in. However, I have my doubts about those who think Walmart is terrible and continue to shop there. If you think Walmart is detrimental, doesn't it make sense that you are part of the problem by continuing shopping or working there? I wonder what percentage of people who are against Walmart still support it economically...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you, that out of those 3 points, that of outsourcing may be the only one to hold substance when threat upon the U.S. economy is of concern. likewise, U.S. workers affected by the outsourcing should man up, like those in the auto-industry (i.e. GM Ford, Chrysler) should have been done. instead, they, and many others were bailed out by the Fed, which innumerably causes a greater threat to the U.S. economy that Wal-Mart.
ReplyDeleteAs to whether Wal-Mart is "hurting" the [North] American people... I would say they most definitely are not, as Wal-Mart sells what the people ask for.